St. John's Episcopal Church at the crossroads two miles west of Preemption, IL, which is on Highway 67, was founded in Mercer County in 1869. It was a branch of Grace Church, established in 1853, shortly after the potato famine in Ireland by the Protestant Orangemen.
Six generations of families have worshiped here and the congreation comes from a radius of 40 miles; Keithsburg, Viola, Kirkwood, Sherrard, Reynolds, Preemption, Matherville, Joy, Seaton, Galesburg, and the Quad Cities.
Infomation courtesy of Phyllis Anderson.
For more history of "Grace Episcopal" of Pre-emption Parrie, IL.click here.
The following was taken from a Sunday bulletin for the Fourth Sunday in Lent, the year is unknown.
This information was compiled by Phyllis Anderson.Heritage